Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Work-in-Progress / Painting a Montana Sky



 
This is a work-in-progress post of Lake McDonald at Glacier National Park, Montana. I began with a neutral gray background and basic layout of the composition with dots of color. I am using a 16x12" stretched linen canvas. The washes of bright oil colors serve as marks for warm verses cool sections.
 
The sky is painted with a variety of purple and blue tones. You can hardly see the pink base of the clouds or bright orange in the mountains.  
 
The dark area of pine trees becomes the focal point.
 
16x12 Oil on linen
 
Here are the final adjustments. I added lighter details in the mountains and bundle of trees to the right.
 
Early this summer, I learned the National Park Service would be celebrating 100 years, on August 25. I began thinking about the state and national parks I have painted and visited including Yellowstone, Glacier, Acadia, Yosemite, Bryce, Zion and the Everglades. They are places I will never tire of exploring, with many sites still on my checklist. I simply love viewing the beauty of the landscape and animals in their natural habitat!
These original paintings and prints are available on my websites. Clickable links are located in the upper right sidebar.
Thank you for preserving and protecting our landscape, NPS! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!