Sunday, February 23, 2014

Landscape Painting Commentary

24x36 Oil on Linen

This is the final version of my Bryce Canyon painting. Placing the leafy bush in the foreground interrupts the monotony of the horizontal landscape plains. This also causes a shift of green tones to the right and introduces a vertical element. In that respect, I believe the bush serves as an acceptable solution for breaking the flat composition.
On the other hand, there is still something missing. I thought about adding a hot air balloon somewhere in the sky or more rocks to the edge of the cliff.  And after much contemplation, I realize that I am unable to determine what more the painting needs, if anything, calling it complete.  

Sometimes there are problems with paintings that we, as the creators, cannot solve. So, we settle, put them aside, and move on to the next challenge of bringing our mind's vision to life…

2 comments:

  1. I like the addition of the leafy bush. After looking at the painting for quite some time, I really can't see that it is missing anything. It is a beautiful painting. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and wip photos. It makes me want to pull out my oils and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input, Vicki! I think I will leave it as is.
    Given your experience and layering skills with watercolors, the transition to oils would be easy for you. Try using a painting you've already completed. That way, you are familiar with the approach and colors to use. Let the layers dry in between sessions, to avoid creating mud. Although there are many ways to use oils, the thin glazing method might be a good starting point, based on your current style. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!