Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Painting Koi Ponds

The Roundabout
8x10 Oil on panel
Available
 
This is my latest koi pond painting, which is serving as a study for a larger work. Submerging the koi “under water” was as simple as placing a few brush strokes over the top of the fish. But before attempting this, I ensured the initial layer was completely dry. Otherwise, the details and colors of the fishes’ bodies would have been obscured.  
 
Before


When applying blue paint over the fish, I diluted it with turpentine sub, using one continuous stroke over the areas I wanted to cover, from the top to the bottom. As you can see with the koi to the left (in the top painting), the transparent blue mixed with the orange and yellows, formed an illusion of even more colors. You can also use oil thinning medium and transparent oils to achieve the same effect.
“Every day I discover more and more beautiful things. It’s enough to drive one mad. I have such a desire to do everything; my head is bursting with it.”—Claude Monet   (goodreads.com)
 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Tanner! I hope to begin a larger version soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this "Koi Ponds Painting". Thanks for sharing it.
    Contemporary Painter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jose! I will be painting more in the future. The combination of water lilies, koi, and lily pads is endless. Give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!