Monday, April 8, 2013

Mission Commission

Land of Plenty
11x14 Acrylic on Panel
Original sold. Prints available

This is a recent commissioned painting I completed for my art collecting friends living in South Carolina. The reference image was taken in the northern region of Oregon’s beautiful wine country. I’ve never visited this location, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned about painting… it takes me to so many wonderful places.

Below is the first image I emailed back to the clients for feedback regarding color and composition. The conversations are not written verbatim, but you can get the idea of how my commissioned painting process works via email:
 

"Can you tone down the orange a bit?" ... No problem!  

 

"The orange is perfect now. Can you add some chunky texture?" ...Great idea, poof!

 
 

"Nice texture! How about a little house on the hill?"

...  This only gets better with paint. 

"Lovely house! Can you add Russian Sage in the foreground?"

... Now we’re bloomin’  

Is there anything else you'd like to see?

 

"Wow! We love it!"

... It was fancy teamwork. Yeah!


This one is heading to home sweet home :)
Custom artwork often challenges me to put aside preconceived ideas in order to achieve the clients’ vision. This was the first palette knife painting I’ve done in over eight years. I had almost forgotten how much fun it is to spread loads of paint around like butter.

“A house is made of walls and beams. A home is made of love and dreams. ”  ~ Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!