Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Benefits of Painting Studies

Studies are typically smaller paintings used as a guide for larger works. Taking less time and effort to complete, they can be powerful tools in the discovery process. They can also prevent you from wasting precious art supplies on another version that may not be as appealing as you initially envisioned.

Here is the study version:
Overflowing
8x10 Oil on Panel
After reviewing the colors and composition of the study for several days, I decided to change several things about the next piece.  
Bougainvillea Villa
18x24 Oil on Canvas
 
As you can see in this larger painting, I slightly extended the condominium structure and added the flower pot on the left ledge. I also changed the colors of the shadows, and emphasized the orange tones on the side of the building. The palm tree is more defined and the sky is lighter. The sun is shining just a little brighter.

I am often asked what inspires me to paint a particular scene. In this scenario, it was a combination of the bright colors of the building, overflowing bougainvillea, and towering palm tree. The best way I can describe it is… the subject needs to have the wow factor, either through complexity or simplicity, and it may take several attempts to express what I truly have in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!